Pages


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Garlic Scapes

I thought I'd show you garlic scapesScapes are the seed head that a garlic plant puts out.  I think it is really rare to try and grow garlic from seed, but still, every plant produces seed.

Early summer, garlic puts out it's seed head.  It is a curly shoot out of the heart of the plant.

To harvest the scape, break it off close to the heart.

Most people that grow garlic will have scapes, but taking them to the market to sell is another thing.  They don't make a lot of $, so I think a lot of people don't bother.  They are great as fresh garlic, in salad dressing, soup, garlic pesto...etc.  You can treat them like any other garlic.  Ask at your market if the vendors have any.  I've not ever seen them in a grocery store.

My day off yesterday was great.  Some random food shots:


By far, the best bit of food yesterday was angel food cake, strawberries and whip cream.  I could eat this for dinner.
This is a good shot of the work Bethoney and I did on Saturday afternoon.  I like to lay straw down between my tomatoes.  Too many weeds in too big of an area.  This year, I have only about 200 tomatoes, so it wasn't AS important, but it still was a good thing to do.  Last year, with about 600, there was no choice.
Have a great day everyone!
Jess

14 comments:

  1. My parents always have garlic scapes. I never realized this was the name though because my Dad calls them something in Italian! HA!

    That sandwich looks great...lots of stuffing, just the way it should be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had garlic scapes - they look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting how you lay the straw out like that! I was looking at your comment on ontario wines and I thought about some awesome ice wine I picked up from there a few years back. Not sure of the winery name or where exactly it was in Ontario (close to Niagra Falls probably)--but it was so excellent! I went there for an ag conference at the University of Guelph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing about garlic scapes more and more! I really need to try them in a salad or something. Thats cool with the straw I need to do something with my garden the weeds are out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to put garlic scapes in a pasta. It seems like they would add great color, texture, and flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm. garlic scapes.

    that sandwich in the middle looks hearty and comforting. I want! in my belly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garlic scapes are lookin good! And I've never seen those all-bran bars, they look tasty though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm angel food cake! Looks so good :) Tasty eats for the day!

    I have never had garlic scapes before...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering how you kept away the weeds. I have been thinking about putting mulch down, but we haven't done it yet. Mulch should work like hay right? Or will it end up kind of recking the soil for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got garlic scapes in my CSA box last year - had no idea what to do with them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tomatoes look awesome eh? I'm absolutley pumped that I learned about the scapes on Sat. I LOVE them!!!!!!
    You will be happy to know that I went to the Station aRts Centre in T'burg (where the market is held on Sat mornings). I spoke to the coordinator and got all info I need to sign up! 25 bucks a year total and 30 for every month you have a stand. I went to my moms and CLEANED out her basement today. She has TONS of bussel baskets and trays and such.
    Its starting Jess ~ I can't wait till I'm full gear.
    I'm so glad I have you as my mentor....I'm also glad that we are not in direct competition with each other or I would be in trouble. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have great looking garlic scapes and garlic because I noticed how nice and green they are

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am curious to try those garlic scapes after seeing them on ohsheglows and now your blog, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I didn't even know what a garlic scape was- thanks!

    ReplyDelete