Pages


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Failed Baking

Monday was a very normal day, and that's ok with me.  It was hot and sunny, the mosquito's took over the garden in the evening, so other than digging potatoes and carrots, I didn't spend a lot of time outside.  I've been avoiding repellent with deet in it, however, if the mossy's keep up all week, I will resort to an evening or two or real bug spray.  I've been using a catnip oil that has been working well so far. 

Raspberries have been at the market for about 2 weeks now, and I've been eating them non stop.  Cereal is Kashi flakes and granola, lotsa raspberries!
I know I've said this, but I'm thrilled Ontario fruit is around.  Morning fruit: One yellow, one red plum, one apricot.
Lunch again, my usual garden salad and english muffin with Laughing Cow cheese.  I know this is a pretty boring lunch, but I just don't get tired of it.

Since the bugs were eating me like dinner, I thought I'd make some banana bread.  I won't post the recipe, this was a fail as far as baking goes.  The flavour is good, the texture is not, and I don't think it's cooked all the way in the middle.  I ate 3 pieces anyway.

I had big plans for an awesome steak dinner, but as the bbq was heating up I ran out of propane.  Steak on Tuesday it is!  I ended up with the planned fresh dug potatoes and beans, with 2 microwaved Yves veggie dogs.  Still tasty!
After dinner I had another piece of failed banana bread.  You know, even failed baking isn't that bad.

Have a great Tuesday!

Jess

20 comments:

  1. I don't think your lunch looks boring. Looks wonderful to me :)

    I have had so many failed baking attempts. I do love banana bread though....maybe I need to bake more often and perfect the art :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much all I eat at lunch in the summer is salad. I can't get enough of it! So I don't find yours boring at all.

    I've had breads that don't want to cook all the way through before. Frustrating, but still tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking is such a science about getting everything exactly right for perfect results--that's usually why I lean towards cooking more. At least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when I fail at baking recipes, but if it doesn't taste that bad, I eat it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a good day! I really enjoy the laughing cow+english muffin combo :) Your lunch is not boring! I have had lots of failed baking events in the past...whenever i try to "healthify" things...I guess butter+sugar is just meant to be added to baked goods! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lunch doesn't look boring at all. And if you like it, then why fix what isn't broken? ;)

    I bet even your failed banana bread still tastes pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to hear the baking didn't work out- I usually end up eating my failures anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, me and fresh bread dont mix.... its a miracle i nailed Challah bread! But youre good-i cant eat the bread if its failed. its too much of a reminder that i Effed up lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bread is hard to perfect, so definitely don't think it's you - blame it on the bread, haha! I love the fresh fruit - summer is SO my favorite foodie season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never try my own baking recipes since it involves a whole lot of chemistry. Props to you though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lunch looks amazing!! I've been eating the same thing over and over for lunch for a few weeks now. It's not getting old at all!

    I call a baking fail a success if it's still edible!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still eat my "failures" if they taste good. I've had a few strange results out of banana bread and it's usually just like yours..not quite done in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a to-die-for banana bread recipe that never fails, if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you - you can't totally screw up banana bread. Even if it doesn't look right - it still tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Things of REAL beauty abound in here. I love this space and the food you choose. Lovely.. Thought I'd invite you to come over and enter to win a $40.00 CSN GiftCard Giveaway. Great Odds. You could easily win, and if you enter, I hope you do. Keri

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your lunch looks delish! I love laughing cow cheese! We had a similar problem this week with the propane. I already had steaks out seasoned and ready, so on the stove they went--not nearly as good =(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have missed you!!!!!! I hope you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. PLEEEEEEAAAAASE come back to us Jess!!!!! We miss you so much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you start blogging again. You were a little ray of sunshine on a sometimes bah day!

    ReplyDelete